Thursday, May 18, 2006

Two Books From Nick Hornby

I recently read 'High Fidelity' and 'About a Boy' by Nick Hornby. Both have been made into movies a while ago. I have always admired the movies, About a Boy has a nice soundtrack done by Badly Drawn Boy and have wanted to read the books, High Fidelity especially, but the books were always too expensive when I looked around. I recently borrowed both from the library, and they were the best reads I have had in a while. First of all they are pretty effortless to read. They are hilarious. The movies are pretty faithful to the books in dialogue and plot etc, but there is just something about the books that made me enjoy it a little more. So check them out sometime.

I have also read his book Fever Pitch which is about soccer fanatacism. It was ok, but unless you are a soccer nut I wouldn't really recommend it. Somehow they based the mediocre Fever Pitch movie starring Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon (about baseball!) I have experienced both and honestly don't see the linkage in any way other than the name. I also have read How to be Good "where the woman protagonist explores contemporary morals, marriage and parenthood." Anyways I recall it as being quite depressing and painful to read, so I wouldn't recommend it, although maybe it is just me. There is also another newer book that he wrote called A Long Way Down and I think it is about four strangers who encounter each other one New Year's Eve on top of a building, where they are planning on leaping to their deaths. Not sure I will give that one a read or not.

Joey out

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?